History of German Migration to and from Brezova, Slovakia
Brezova is located in the south-eastern part of the municipality Vel'ké Uherce and thus in the Western middle Slovakia. The settlement is situated at an altitude of 550 m.
Brezova was probably inhabited by Radobica, Vel'ké Uherce and Vel'ké Pole as a scattered settlement before 1780. The municipality Vel'ké Uherce which includes the village Brezova was first mentioned in 1274 as 'Vgrych'. 1941 Brezova (in German 'Birkenhain') was briefly incorporated into the municipality of Vel'ké Pole. However, after a few years Brezova was back to the municipality Vel'ké Uherce.
After World War II many Germans were deported from the region. Today, about 99% of the population are Slovaks. The rest is made up of Czechs and Poles. The population in the region decreases permanently. While the older generation remains, younger families tend to move away from the region. Brezova has been uninhabited for several decades.
|© Karlsruhe University of Applied Sciences|